Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy July5

Yesterday I had the best July 4 in memory. The day was warm and sunny. At 6am I watered my tomato plants and my geraniums, swept my front porch and then sat down to read the book I got from the library. Martha advised me to read it to do away with the pains in my left knee. The title by Louise Hay is YOU CAN HEAL YOUR LIFE. The gist of what I have read so far is that you are supposed to look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself YOU ARE OK. Not listen to the voice from the past that repeats what you heard ages ago saying,YOU ARE BAD, YOU ARE NO GOOD etc. There is much more to try to learn and to remember. By forgiving yourself, you will be forgiving the ones who might have hurt you. And your body will stop hurting. All this is too simplified and I am eager to get back to the book to learn more. But I tried it this morning. I told myself I am OK. Not You talked too much last night. You should not have monopolized the time of those young people from Colorado. Normally there is guilt. This morning there was bliss. I had a wonderful time at Edna's and Butch's house last night.

The food was delicious and the company was outstanding and the fireworks loud and beautiful. But every year I try to count how many children could have been fed from the cost of that single thriller. Not festive of me, I know. So this year, two dogs and three young people and I stayed inside while the 'rockets blared'. And then Edna had another surprise. She had made Palomas. Egg white and sugar, whipped into a stiff mass, baked. Then strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream. What a finale.

My conscience bothered me, for I had left Edgar, my cat, at home and he was scared from all the noise from the street. I had left the TV on to make him feel less lonesome. And then I let him sleep behind my knees. We got along all night. And I am OK.

Edna and Butch, how can I thank you? You made me so happy. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are *more than* OK! I am certainly not alone in knowing that you are an exceptional person. You are OK to the Nth degree!

Anonymous said...

Such asweet 4th. Domenico