Friday, December 26, 2008

in years past

Christmas always ended with me in bed. I was prone to getting a sore throat which usually turned into a strep throat and only penicillin would cure it. After a few years of this, I was told that it was not smart using penicillin and so I suffered through all the phases of the sickness. I knew I had used up too much energy getting ready for the Holidays and I knew I would do it again the following year, so what could I do to prevent getting sick. Maybe I was allergic to something I came in contact with, only during the Holidays.

I searched and searched trying to find something that happened only at Christmastime. During the Holidays we kept a bottle of Aquavit in the freezer. When we had a reason to skol we took a small sip of this freezing cold liquid and chased it with a small drink of beer. Could that be the reason? When I felt well again I would practice and have a little snort and it never gave me a sore throat. We used ginger in baking cookies. Hardly ever used during the rest of the year. I did some research in this area also. No certain outcome. Could it be that using the two together caused the trouble. But I could not go on with the research for I might become an alcoholic if this went on too long.

Someone told me about a cold preventative. Take one generous amount of Listerine into your mouth, hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds, spit it out. I have done that for 6 years and Voila! I have had no cold for that length of time. I am not being paid by Listerine and it might be all in my mind, but for me it works. I use a clock in the bathroom and I time the treatment.

This is a very boring blog and the only thing I can do to lure you into continue reading this, I can make a promise to do better. I began blogging by telling you that I am a name dropper, and I have not dropped anything for a long time. So I will promise you that there are some interesting names in the near future. Examples? Diane Sawyer and Ron Ziegler, Nixon's Press secretary and Chihuli the giant glass artist. Wait and see.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is NOT a very boring blog! Don't worry about dropping names, 'cos I'm probably too young to know who you're talking about anyway. It's YOU who are the interesting one here -- REALLY! I'm just so delighted that I found my way to your blog from your very first post.

Unknown said...

Listerine definitely has anti- bacterial properties. It contains thymol, which has been used since ancient times for various purposes. Keep up the good work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thymol

TM Photography said...

I agree, this blog is never boring, even when you talk about Listerine! lol

And now that you mention it, I have been getting sick right around winter finals, for the last 4 years or so.... but this year I didn't. I have been using a lot of Listerine. I didn't put the two together until reading this!

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

I love the name dropping! But I also love the little details and the interesting trivia. It's fascinating how different life was back in the day, and yet similar in many ways.

weecyn said...

Dear Adopted Grandma Svensto,

You could write about roofing tar or snail races and it would still be engaging and delightful. Happy New Year, and I look forward as always to every "boring" detail.

Emiana said...

Not boring at all!!

Anne said...

I agree with you completely about Listerine!

You are never boring, my dear. My own life doesn't have wildly exciting things going on every day (that would be NEVER). My favorite blogs are about everyday life. Remember, you're my friend who chats with me over a cup of coffee. Often we just talk about ordinary stuff. Occasionally we remember something interesting and exciting - but mostly it is the stuff of daily life.

Anonymous said...

You are not boring at all! Even mundane, simple things are interesting because you are a great story teller. I love to read your blog. I click on it every day hoping you've added something new.

Alison said...

You made me laugh out loud when you said this was a boring blog! You are not only a writer and artist, but also a comedienne! I think the strep throat is a viral infection, passed on by someone who has it,(sneezing/coughing) or by touching something that the infected person has touched. Listerine is definately a good defense against any infection/cold virus!

Anonymous said...

You even make gargling Listerine interesting! Boring - never!

Nancy Peacock

Anonymous said...

Don't say you're boring! You're wonderful! We wouldn't be reading your writing if we thought you were boring.

You have a wonderful unique voice and it's different from anything else that's out there and completely refreshing and lovely.

Ptolemy said...

Boring?! HA! Not a chance, dear lady. I like the other examples, but I'll add one more... You could write about the PHONE BOOK ;-) and it would be quite interesting!

Haphazardkat said...

Maybe it was the indoor tree and decorations irritating your throat?

Love the listerine hint. I shall give it a try!

As always, love your blog--regardless of what you think is 'boring' :)

Kat
Vancouver, WA

BumbleVee said...

I'm sure the reason you got so sick was that you were totally worn out from over working for weeks before the big day...your immune system was down and out... so it gave you the rest you needed. ..whether you wanted it or not....now, you don't have to overdo..hence you don't get sick anymore...

may you never have another cold ....ever.........

YTT said...

Your blog is my favorite thing on the Internet - it is not one whit boring. I see I am not alone in appreciating your sharing your life with all of us who read you. Every time I read an entry I want to say Thank You, and now I am finally doing it.

And your story about baking Christmas rolls for everyone brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Holidays.

Anonymous said...

Svensto,
How happy I am that I came across
your blog (by way of the daily coyote). My mothers parents came to the U.S. from Sweden (Sundsvall). My mother passed away earlier this year, and reading this blog has helped bring me back to so many things from my childhood. I have actually been wanting to try my hand at what we called Swedish coffee cake (caramon). My grandmother would let me help her bake pepperkakor at Christmas time and she would also make the coffee cake. I have her old brass mortor and pestle to grind the cardamon. I will try your recipe....hopefully sometime soon. This is not a boring blog.
It is fascinating.
thank you so much.
Happy New Year

Jodie said...

Ditto! NOT BORING. We love you Mrs. G. REALLY! Are you able to travel? I was wondering if you would be able to ever go to Wyoming and see Shreve, Eli, Charlie and Chloe. It would be neat to see you in a photo with her and her animals.

Stella said...

Let me just join the party. I agree very much with Anne who talked about having coffee and a chat with you . . .telling stories or the price of beans, you are great to visit with. I do like the name dropping though!
Happy 2009,
Jo in Minnesota (not Stella)