Monday, December 29, 2008

Next years presents

Often I began Christmas presents in January. A woman in Sweden whose name is, I think Inga Persson, designed a yearly Christmas wall hanging. It was cross stitched on an off white piece of linen material. No bigger than maybe 8 by 10 inches. The designs are priceless and so much fun to work. I remember a few that I sewed, a whole choir of people in church, one with a star shining on the shepherds in the desert. One of three horses in the stable where Jesus was born. I will ask one of my children to take pictures of the ones they were given. It was a quiet, warm kind of occupation after the hectic pre-Christmas work. I loved that kind of time. Soon, after Thirteenth Day, all signs of Christmas would be hidden away in the attic. And when School started I would be all alone with my own thoughts and plans for next year.

I think all the girls asked to sew these IP DESIGNS and they are hung in their homes when decorating the house begins. Usually after the Lucia Day. Sometimes after December 1.

When I moved out of the house where we had lived since 1983 I made many foolish decisions and sold much of the Christmas decor at the garage sale. I was moving into much smaller quarters and didn't want to be buried by all those belongings. The children were allowed to take whatever they wanted. Now that Christmas is over, I am glad not to be so laden down by things. And if there is something I would like to own again, I can always make it anew. I will let you know what develops.

My grand-daughter who is a Lt. in the US Navy is going skiing in Canada and on her way back to Ventura and is stopping by here. I am so eager to see her again and I will make one of her favorite meals, Swedish Meatballs. They must be eaten with Lingon Berries and mashed potatoes and gravy, and since her Mother is the worlds best salad maker I will have oven roasted vegetables. Maybe Tosca for desert.

9 comments:

Emiana said...

Happy new year, Svensto, and have a great time with your granddaughter.

Jan said...

What beautiful cross-stitch pieces! Does Inga Persson make patterns available anywhere? How did you make them, from patterns or what? Thank you!

Liz said...

Happy New Year and thank you for sharing your stories with us this year!

I have cardamon...from the health food store for my New Year's breakfast version of your Christmas Bread!

Barbara said...

Happy New Year Gertrud!
Thank you for sharing your life, your thoughts and your many accomplishments with us. Your blog is always a bright spot in my day and I am glad that writing it has added to your life, too.
Here's to the New Year with more adventures we will share!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Happy new year! Your artwork is beautiful. I have read your blog from the start, and this is the first time I've commented. I saw the mention of Ventura (my home town) and had to say how much I appreciate your writing. I'm looking forward to more of your stories in the year to come. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Svensto. Your stories have been a wonderful distraction. Thank you for sharing. Health, happiness and many blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Gertrud:
When will your granddaughter be visiting you? We will deliver the surprise in the freezer so you and she can celebrate in Swedish style!! We have something for you from Sweden for the New Year too.

Happy New Year and keep the stories coming.

M & K

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I found your blog through your grand-daughter's blog...both of you have a beautiful spirit that makes words come to life. I do not have much time this morning to read, but I'll be back to read more.

Happy New Year!

P.S. I will be telling my girls about your blog.:

Ptolemy said...

WHAT is Tosca?! We named a puppy Tosca after an astronomer we learned about in Florence, Italy named Paolo dal Pozzo Toscanelli... And then learned there is an opera called Tosca... And now it sounds like there is a dessert called Tosca? Do tell!