Wednesday, April 8, 2009

age

Yesterday I watched OPRAH talking about aging. And I made a couple of changes for my future. One of the foods they discussed for a healthy long life was legumes. I love beans and peas of all kinds. The trouble was I was already marinating four boneless chicken thighs, I had a sweet-potato baking in the oven and my big hunk of broccoli was ready to go into the microwave. So I could not begin with all this immediately. And sweets were frowned upon so I would have to eat what was left of my ice-cream in my freezer for dessert . There was quite a bit left but I tried my best and actually only threw out a little bit.

And then I will lift some wheights and I will have a chair ready so that I can sit down slowly with a strait back and get up the way I sat down, as many times as i can during the day. I managed two and a half yesterday.

Last night I was listening to KGO at midnight and the woman host was speaking with the author of a book about how many beneits we are lucky to have from FDR's CCC and WPA works that came about because of the depression. It was fascinating. One man called in to say he was 108 years old and he had worked in both cathegories. He had the strongest voice and he had the most fantastic memory of the time. I hope Obama reads that book. Wish I remembered the name of the book, but I will tell our local book seller to be on the lookout for it.

All this scares me. Do I have enough DO RE MI to last me if I live to 108. Lucky I have decided to eat beans.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

You are a popular blogger. If you wrote a book and told the story you've given in small bits in this blog I bet that it would sell very well, and that would mean more Do re Mi to put aside for later. In my opinion, (if you would be willing to author a book or do one with a co-author) you ought to ask Shreve to give you some ideas and maybe connect you to her agent toget you started on the process. Just a thought......
Barbara

Beth said...

I second Barbara's suggestion! I'm an admin assistant to a vibrant, successful 81 yr. old businessman. He's been writing (and I've been typing) his memoirs for a couple of years. Several professors are interested for their business students. You have a lot to tell and we can't get enough of your stories. My executive dictates into a small recorder. You could do the same!

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

You'll live a long, healthy, happy life mainly because you have *decided* to do so, and you're making choices that support that decision. A positive outlook goes a long way. :)

Charlene said...

I third Barbara's suggestion! I love reading your blog and would definitely buy your book.

Anonymous said...

I fourth Barbara's suggestion! I wait with baited breath for your next entry. I cannot get enough of your stories because you live(d) such a facinating life. Your life today is much more exciting than mine and I am only 38! You are truly a treasure and can only pray you live well past 108.

Cheers,

Adrienne

Alison said...

My mother is also worried about having enough money to last for the length of her life. The economic downfall has hurt her investments but she hasn't panicked. She has seen the markets rise and fall many times over the years, as I'm sure you have as well. She is very frugal and lives well within her means.(A lesson we all should learn). You sound alot like her. We are all concerned about our future, whether it be 10,20,30,or even 50 years ahead of us... I suppose one must put our faith in the powers above to see us through! And in the end, perhaps the kindness of others around us to see us through the rough spots!