Thursday, January 14, 2010

Carver continued

Joe commented on the previous blog. Said he would read some of his Carver books. And asked, had I read any of his books. I read all the ones I managed to buy. His next question was, how did I like his writing. He was a skillful artist. I why asked Ray why he wrote about such losers. My question hurt his feelings. He claimed they were not losers. After having read most of Sklenicka's 500 page book I understand why he was hurt. It seems he wrote about his own family and his own life.

What I admire most about him is his stubborn and difficult pursuit of education. He may not have reached his dream of degrees but he certainly was well educated.


Joe said...

Thanks. I'd like to leave an insightful comment, but nothing has come to me. I've reread a little of his work, and I'm not sure I'll continue much longer. The bleakness and melancholy that I remember are still there. At this time of year they seem especially oppressive. But that's what happens with a writer as good as Carver: you see the world as his characters do; you feel what they feel. Anyway, thanks again. I enjoy your blog very much.

Teresa Raymond said...

I wanted to let you know that in the past week, I have read your entire blog from start to finish and have loved it. I follow your granddaughter's blog and found you because of your association. I have printed out your entire blog and am sending it to my friend in Afghanistan, an Army officer serving a year's tour. I think she will appreciate the diversion even more than I have.

I read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and enjoyed it enough to give as a gift to every reader in my family this last Christmas.

Have a great day and keep writing!