Sunday, January 3, 2010

A new year

I think my maternal grandmother died in 1910. If she did she was about 70 years old. All I know is that she died from Struma.
Anna and I both were operated on for the same kind of thing way back. Anna who used to sing in church, had a lovely voice before the operation. I lost nothing but aquired a lovely scar on my neck. Struma is the German word for Thyroid.


Happy New Year for all who may read this. And I hope your Holidays were happy too. Two granddaughters were here in Port Angeles and all of us had several happy get-togethers. And I received many beautiful, and many practical, and many tasty Christmas gifts. It was a wonderful season.

I have three new books to read. And if I read them now I will never have time to write blogs. I will try to use some control and only read at pre-ordained times. I cannot read in bed for I fall asleep after the first page.

One book is called February House by Sherill Tippins. It looks fascinating and is about theatre people and singers and free thinkers. Leafing thru I saw a man called Lee and I hope it might be about Canada Lee who was the star of Native Son on Broadway and in the movie Life Boat with Tulula Bankhead. He never got his just rewards for being a great actor. The second book is about Raymond Carver by Carol Sklenicka. It is a huge book and I am looking forward to reading that too.And then I borrowed City of Thieves by David Benioff. It deals with the Leningrad siege during WW11. If my blogs are shorter than usual remember I warned you.

3 comments:

Laura said...

happy new year!

Ter-o-fla said...

Glad you are back writing here. :D

Happy New Year to you!!!

-t-

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Happy New Year to you. I've had a lot of pleasure reading your blog in 2009 and look forward to hearing about anything you'd like to talk about in 2010.