Friday, August 6, 2010

Who appreciates it when it's there

This morning, at the clinic, while waiting for the blood thinning technician, I was watching another victim. She was reading our local paper. It is so thin and so elongated that she was having to pick up her right leg, putting the heel of her foot on her left leg to prop it up. There she sat, comfortable as can be, occasionally letting her hand scratch the foot resting on her knee. She was wearing go-aheads. (fancy ones) I wanted to tell her to enjoy her youth. She wasn't so young. She was wearing black and probably on her way to her office job. It was a pose impossible for me.

Later in the day I was standing at the counter of our office supply store and when I got the change  after my purchase I dropped a coin on the floor. It looked like a nickel and I weighed the effort of picking it up or the waste of not picking it up. I decided for the latter. Then the customer standing next to me picked it up and it turned out to be a dime. I think I would have made the effort for a dime. But my goodness, it is tiring to go in and out of a couple of stores.

5 comments:

Arinn said...

Thank you for the reminder--it's so important to be appreciative of what we have before we lose it!

Anonymous said...

Getting old ain't for sissies, as the saying goes. But it sure beats the alternative.
I get so tickled when you call other patients victims!
Keitha

Danielle said...

I was not sure where to post this comment to. But I wanted to let you know that they are going to open "Roosevelt's Little White House" in Warm Springs here in GA from Sept 4-Sept 6 to allow brief swims in the spring waters. I had remembered you writing working there and thought you would want to know. I only live about 2 hours south and now that I have made the connection between you and American history it makes a bigger draw for me to go!! :)

Danielle

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

go-aheads = flip-flops. I needed to Google that!

Sandra said...

"go aheads"! The first time I visited California was in 1956 when I was 10 years old. I saw people in rubber sandals with a post between the toes to connect the strap. I asked about those strange looking shoes that I had certainly never seen in the Midwest and was told they were called "go aheads" because if you tried to "go back" in them, you would walk out of them! Thank you for a reminder of a fun memory.