Saturday, July 31, 2010

Heart warming

Thank you all for commenting on my blog after this long hiatus. I am touched. And I have missed all of you, also.

Here at the home, we have missed our bus driver, Keith. He has spent several weeks in Sweden and Norway. He should be back any day. He promised he would buy the third book by Steeg Larsson in Swedish. I will be able to tell you if the translator does a good job. I am in the middle of another 900+ book and it is riveting. Called the OUTLANDER. While my computer was down I read THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH. Another 900+ page book. I highly recommend both of these books. Early history of our life on this earth. 

Aging is a strange experience. When I was 89 plus 395 days, everyone I met said 'I can't believe you are that old'  You should see me now! I am struggling to walk with a cane. I have a walker but am hesitant about using it. My face is aging faster than my legs. And for the first time I have rhumatic kind of pains in joints most people don't know the names of. I don't want you to think I am complaining. I am so lucky to be able to do what I do. I love my cat. I love my children. I love living where I am. And I am lucky to be able to drive and be that independent. I am mentioning this only as a surprising thing I have discovered. 

Gilbert, my son, who is living in what was our house till he bought it years ago, is in southern California. I promised I would go down to keep his dog company. Rusty is the father of Cap. I go down around noon. On my way there I buy lunch to go, and eat it at our dining room table. Rusty knows a few crumbs will fall to his benefit and he is happy to see me arrive. Then we go out in the fenced yard and when he has done his duty we go back in and I sit in what was my chair to read whatever I am reading. Quite early I drop off for a nap and I am sure he enjoys my snoring. My naps rarely last longer than half an hour. A very nice neighbor takes Rusty for a walk in the morning and another in the evening.

Next week my three daughters are coming for a four day visit. We are going to celebrate Jane's birthday. I have a large bag of frozen raspberries in my freezer. Jane loves to can things and we are going to make jam and all share what evolves. A friend, Donna, picked the berries in her yard, froze them and gave them to me. What a friend. During the days they are here I have a feeling there will be no blogs.

5 comments:

teal! said...

i am so happy you are back, and glad you are well. like others, i have missed you!

hope you enjoy the raspberry jam making. i personally am looking forward to the 6 (!!) gooseberries on my new gooseberry bush to ripen (i've never tasted any gooseberries before, so i'm quite excited!). i am also eagerly waiting for the blackberries to ripen, so i can have a veritable orgy of berry picking, freezing and jamming!

Anonymous said...

Oh we did miss you! I was beginning to get worried. So glad to have you back! Maybe next time you could have Shreve tell us what is happening.
Keitha

musingegret said...

Oh goodie! Ms. Svensto is back and posting; you were sorely missed! Can't wait to hear about the reunion and 'jamming.' Health to you and yours.

conny said...

Hi there,
while reading a Danish blog I was made aware of your blog (you had recommended a book - 'Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society'), so now I've read some of your posts (I'm at work so I've only read a few....)
I must say I'm impressed! You are my next role model - if old age can be as inspiring as your life, then it is ok ;-)
I really like your quiet descriptions of your days - it is like watching a movie like the one with Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn (On Golden Pond).
Looking forward to reading more of your posts I send you greetings from Denmark. Conny

Anonymous said...

there are 7 books now in the outlander series, but the first is still my favorite.

i love you're reading your blog - the history and the current events. i love hearing stories of the old days from my relatives. we're not related, but you definitely have a gift of storytelling, as does your granddaughter. thank you!