Sunday, August 10, 2008

Geography

Last night I had trouble going to sleep. Too many activities during the day. 4/30 am Walking my dog, 5/30 shower and shampoo, 8/00 breakfast and 9/00 meet my yardman at the house I just moved from. Everything looked desolate and lonely. There were some Items left and they had to go to the dump. Most of the junk was in my studio. All the things that did not sell at our garage sale. It was sad to see some of it hoiisted on the truck but at one point I said hold it, I want to keep that. It was a painting I had done of my parents from a little black and white photo.

Then off to the store to get an angel food cake. After that home to vacuum out what the dog and my cat bring in on the carpet after lying in the mud or in the beauty bark. And then get ready for a Bridge Game with my favorite foursome. Coffee andAngelffod Cake and blueberries. All this previous stuff to explain why I couln't go to sleep. When I overdo I pay for it.

During sleepless nights it is fun to let your mind wnder through your memories. Suddenly I was back with my brothers and sister. And just as suddenly I had a question. Why were so many of our games so geographical. We wandered on a turfwall that my father had built as a teenager. We had to go one following the other until we were blocked by a high fence. The younger ones had to be lifted up to get a glance of what lay ahead. My brother would say: Look at all the lights on the horizon.That's London, England. When in actuallity we were looking at the lights from Helsingor Denmark. (we could see the castle where Hamlet used to hang out) Or we would head out north and the little stream we came to was Mississippi river. And South of our village was Niagara falls. That was not a childhood pretend for there was a cafe right there called THE NIAGARA CAFE. (The first time my husband visited my home I took him first to see Niagara Falls. The falls were as high as one standard brick.) I wonder if these games hadsomething to do with my sense of adventure. My brother went to sea and settled in Australia . My sister and younger brother never left Sweden.

Tomorrow Dentist II

10 comments:

hello haha narf said...

i am so thankful that you didn't let the painting go to the dump!! sounds like a treasure.

Liz said...

I think you might be finding out what happens when you write...memories, trigger memories, trigger thoughts, etc.

I think it is a wonderful process - at least it is for me - hope for you also. I know I love reading your memory - story - thoughts.

dailycoyote said...

To all who have expressed interest: I am currently trying to locate a disk of photographs of many of Grandma's paintings from another family member so that I can help Grandma post them here. Hopefully coming soon - they are so good.

Sandy said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories... can't wait for the next one....

Candace said...

I have been reading all the posts so far. You have me wondering about the next memory! :) Thank you for writing them down. How priceless. I would not know about this blog except a friend had the link on her blog. Isn't technology a wonderful thing. Thank you again for sharing your memories.

Melissa said...

Oh my! I can't wait to see your paintings!

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing your memories! It's so fascinating read life stories and your grandchildren are truly lucky that you are so willing to share. I wish I'd gotten more stories out of my grandparents while I still could!

Unknown said...

I was introduced to this blog by a friend who reads dailycoyote. I am so thankful to her, I am truly enjoying reading your recollections and cannot wait to read more! Thank you for giving us a peek into your life!

scargosun said...

Adventure! That is why you guys played those games. I am glad you kept the painting.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I so love this story.