Saturday, August 9, 2008

Talk of war

My new job was different. The house was less formal and instead of a butler we had a powerful ladies maid. She was an older Finish woman who decided on the menus with the cook. She ordered whatever food or services were needed. She did not like me at first and I guessed it might ave had something to do with the fact that she had not found me first. We became very good friends.

Mrs B was a down home kind of person. She loved to garden even though she had several gardeners. She suffered from back pain which was not hard to underrstand. I saw her once in the barn hoisting bales of hay. A Swedish physical therapist came at least once a week for massage and exercise treatments. We became good friends. I felt like a million when she asked me to go along downtown on my day off. Riding in a convertible Packard was fun. Mr B was seldom seen. Rumor had it that he had been Chief of police when he married her as a divorcee. They had fun parties and lots of house guests. I remember one house party especially. Ruth Gordon and her husband Elia Cazan were in the city for some do on Broadway and came out for the week end. When I saw the movie about a chauffeurs daughter falling in love with the son of the house I thought THAT'S WHAT MRS B's PARTIES LOOKED LIKE.

But everything was not sugar and whipped cream. When we were eating breakfast in the servant's quarters the radio was always on The Breadfast Club. And the talk of war became more and more insistent. Helga, the ladies maid, liked fresh eggs and ordered them from a farmer who lived nearby. They were German and both belonged to THE BUNDT. We got so much propaganda with the delivery of our eggs.

7 comments:

Stephanie S said...

Was the movie _Sabrina_, by any chance?

LAY-ah said...

what a life you've led! i love reading your stories. i only wish i had a chance to gather my grandparents stories.

both you and shreve have a great spot in my blog world. hope to hear more soon!

Haphazardkat said...

My (adoptive)parents are Dutch living in Holland and went through the "Hitler" war--I grew up with their stories but find it fascinating to hear stories from America's viewpoint.
Your Mrs B sounds like a wonderful lady :)

Allie said...

With every entry, I become more and more interested in what you will tell us next. :)

Stephanie S. asks if the movie you referred to is "Sabrina"; this was the movie that I instantly thought of as well! I looked it up, and "Sabrina" would be released in 1954: a full 15 years later! Another reminder of what a different time this was.

Sandy said...

You are an amazing lady!

Ida said...

I am a swedish woman and I found your blog through the "Daily coyote" Are you from Sweden and if so I wonder from what part of Sweden are you? Do you still have realtives in Sweden?
One of my uncles emigrated in 1920th to USA but infortunately he died early in life and left no family.Your writing is very interesting and I look forward to read more about your life "over there".
Ida

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I suppose the war is looming.I wonder if up-coming rationing was as severe as it was in England and Australia.I have only heard stories from relatives from host countries such as ours about"visiting American troops" at the time (Yanks).Not from those living inside the U.S during the war. This will be interesting.