Monday, August 18, 2008

My year in School

I had to look behind one of my paintings, where I hide my Diploma, for the date of my graduation. It said June 1941. looking up that date surprised me for so much had already happened. And 1940-1941 was a year full of exciting occurenses. I will begin with the first test we had to take. There were 16 or 17 people (all females) in our class. About evenly divided between nurses and phys eds. One of the latter was a Canadian girl whose name ws Jetta Hedin. I asked if I could study with her since I had never taken a test in anatomy nor anatomy in English. I was scared. We went over the material we had covered. Over and over again. Finally it was the day of the test. It did not seem very dificult and I relaxed. Our papers were not returned to us for what seemed ages. And then the day arrived.

We were sitting in an amphi-theatre when the tests were returned to us. I could see the tests in front of me as they were passed back. And I could see Jetta's who was sitting next to me. And they were all decent grades and Jetta's was marked 98. And then I saw my test. It was corrected and covered with red ink. All through this period I kept telling myself I should have worked harder, why didn't I work harder etc, When my test reached me I dreaded to look at it. And then Jetta said: 'Look, look, you got 100.'
All the red ink was there because of mis-spellings. Needless to say, I felt I could celebrate. I went to a White Castle where one could get Lamb Stew and an Enlish Muffin for forty cents. I was hungry in those days.

If you think I have been bad as a Name Dropper before, just wait and see how many people came to the Hospital during my time there.

12 comments:

Marlene said...

oh no.. you are a devil to end it that way!!!!!! now I can't wait to find out WHO???? Marlene from Cambria!!! P.S.. when I was little I rememeber White castle burgers back east!! yummy!!!!!!!

Emiana said...

Delightful story as always and I cannot wait to read more.

I'm curious as to why you decided to use just letters for your early employers. Did you keep in touch with Jetta? Although, I suppose, she may work with you and we'll hear about her later.

Heartfelt thank you.
Emiana from London

TM Photography said...

I just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories!

Karen Hargett said...

Lovin' your stories but have to ask why do you hide your diploma? Do you still have an accent? When I read your blog I imagine a slight accent still;-)

Liz said...

As Karen wrote, I imagine a slight accent also...and I "hear" the young woman telling the story.

Unknown said...

Oh I laughed out loud, sitting here at Starbucks, thinking of the names you are going to be a-droppin' in the coming stories!

I agree with Ann from Montana - I hear the young woman telling the stories also!

Thank you as always!
Julien in NYC

hello haha narf said...

hope jetta celebrated with you and was not jealous of your perfect score. congrats on the 100!

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandam Svensto, I thoroughly enjoy your stories. You're good at setting up cliffhangers!

kiki said...

can't wait!!!!!!

kiki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kiki said...

and I also "hear" the young svensto telling the stories...

Haphazardkat said...

My (adopted) mother is from Holland and still speaks with a very strong accent.
I love the sound of it. I hear her voice when I read your words :)
Congrats on getting 100% on your test so long ago! Thats quite the accomplishment being that English was your second language!

Kat
Vancouver, WA