Monday, September 20, 2010

It has been decided

Thank you all for voting on my blog. The result of the vote was stunning. Not a single NO vote. And so many YES votes. A humbling experience. I have chosen my new carpet. I have the blessings of the director of our home office. Now I have to set a date with the carpet people.

I am teaching a class on Oct 16. I am so nervous about being able to do it. Two people are coming from Southern California, one from Bainbridge Island and the rest from Port Angeles and Sequim.  The subject of the class is FAKE IT IN FABRIC. I have to tell you how the name came about. I may have told you sometime in the past. A good friend was visiting in Washington D.C. She and her husband went to an art show and saw among other things a painting by Matisse called ' Lady with flowers. She bought a postcard depicting that Matisse. When I received it I remember what a horrible feeling filled me. 'No matter what happens between now and my final days, I will never be able to own a painting like that'. It was something like greed and avarice that filled me. I remember I was in the middle af a daily chore when my husband handed me the card. And I was ashamed of the way I felt. And then I told myself 'I'LL MAKE ONE'.

I went into my sewing room, looked for suitable fabrics and began my new art form. Trial and error and beginning over and over again I finally finished the work. And for some reason I was as happy as if I really had a Matisse in my possession. It proved that it was not the hundred or so millions I was craving, it was the beautiful scene of lovely colors and perfect composition that appealed to me. I have made many others but none has filled me with happiness the way that first one did.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

When you can, please post photos of the fabric art you just described in this post. The idea is wonderful and intriguing and it would be great to see your work.

Meagan said...

I second Barbara's comment. I would love to see your handiwork! I would also love to see pictures of the paintings you did over the years. Your artwork brings such happiness :)

dani said...

I'm so pleased you are getting the new carpet and hope you post pics of that as well as your art!!

Anonymous said...

Pictures, pictures, please....?

Anonymous said...

You are such a skilled and artful narrator -- I am sure that your class will be informative and fun! Your students are coming to see and hear you speak about an art form that you are SO well-versed about. don't be nervous! Enjoy teaching your class, as I am positive that your students will really enjoy the experience of learning from you.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful realization! I'd love to see it, too.