Thursday, June 9, 2011

My house is now filled with summer

Yesterday I drove to a nursery near the airport to buy 12 red geraniums. Why 12? All 12 would fit in a box I could manage when I got back home. I parked on the street, level with my place. If I had parked in my garage, I would have been forced to make the 7 stairsteps to my level. Probably would have ruined my flimsy shopping cart. Then I walked to my place to get my walker. I felt the seat in said walker would hold the box. It worked. Each pot, which held a primrose was emptied and now holds a red or pink geranium. It looks elegant. Several times during the afternoon I went out to admire the change from late spring to early summer. And when I was ready for a long rest in my recliner four of my favorite 'inmates' strolled up to see the change. While we were there Ohing and Awing up walked the gardener to manipulate the automatic watering system. Rain has been sufficient until now. At five this morning the system worked perfectly.

My favorite baseball team, the Seattle Mariners, are in full force trying to be the team standing in first place when October rolls around. They are having their ups and downs, but it is not impossible to think of them as the winners. Meanwhile we have so many hours watching TV hoping and praying. June 29 a bus from here will take a small number of us to watch a game.

5 comments:

Liza said...

Nice to see you, Svensto! Hope your flowers give you joy all summer.

Anonymous said...

your flowers sound beautiful! enjoy!

Amy said...

I am working on my first garden- in my first house- this weekend! The plants and flowers in and around my yard make me so happy- it's amazing what something so simple can do to lift your spirits, isn't it?

Enjoy your geraniums!

Marm said...

I

Marm said...

Gertrude, how nice to have found you! I have so many wonderful memories of your flower-filled Laguna home, always fragrant with cardamon. One of your paintings now hangs in Elif's bedroom, she married three years ago and is teaching in Piedmont. It was always the painting of Mom's that she most loved. I live in Rossmoor now, not far from where Mom and Dad lived. It's wonderful to read your words...Marm