Saturday, October 18, 2008

Red Cross

When S left for Europe I had the ridiculous idea that I should try to get over there, get a job with the International Red Cross, and in case of S getting held prisoner I could smuggle food or candy bars to his outfit. It was juvenile. I am glad the Swedish American Line set me straight. When I applied for passage, the response was, Because of the War, we have no ships leaving for Europe. We will keep your name on file and notify you when our first Liner will be able to leave.

Remember the above story. It will be vital in further developments.

A Nurse's Aide (or a pink lady) from San Carlos, who had taken a special interest in the polio patient with the good voice, often took him to San Francisco for dinner or a concert and invited me along. He would be in a wheel chair and getting him in and out of her car needed lots of muscles and I never knew if I was invited for my strength or if I was a case that needed attention too. I was not proud and loved these outings.

One day during the summer we got caught in the V E festivities. She decided to get across Market Street and get out of town before the celebrations were too hectic. It was exciting. We barely made it in time. We heard the next day that there were people stuck in town till after midnight. We were on the highway and could finally fathom what had happened. THAT PART OF THE WAR WAS OVER. We all cried a little on the way home. But mostly we laughed and sang every song we knew that dealt with the war Over There. They dropped me off at S's family and then we celebrated again. But the thought of S not getting wounded or killed in the last minutes of the war never left me and the real celebration came when we knew he was safe.

And then came time for us to go to Carmel Vally. It meant no mail for fourteen days. That was difficult. But our vacation was glorious. Lots of sun and swimming and wonderful food. Since I am famous for being a name dropper I have to tell you we saw Robert Young every evening. S's ten year old younger brother and I went horseback riding daily and got in trouble a couple of times, for not letting our horses cool off properly. It was a huge success, our vacation.

When we returned home the mailbox wss bulging. Many letters from S. But there was one letter for me which gave me a thrill and much worry. It said since I had applied for passage to Sweden they could now offer me a berth on the Gripsholm. It was leaving in six days from NYC. (the letter had been sitting in the mailbox ten days.) Could I make it. Sould I even try.


Cin said...

You're making my hair stand on end my beloved Svensto!!!
I've been busy recently and have not been able to visit daily. I'm always so excited to come back here and see how your story unfolds. I see where your granddaughter gets her writing gift. A novel MUST be published from this blog!!!!


Haphazardkat said...

Argh! I must know the end of the story!!


Jan and Lori said...

Your blog is so awesome Svensto! I wish my grandma could/would do something like this. She has so many stories about ranching and teaching in a sod school house in the sandhills of Nebraska. Reading your blog makes me want to go visit my grandma as soon as possible. Keep up the great work-
Travlers Rest, SC